When Should you Hire a Head of People?
March 21, 2023
A small business or startup should consider hiring a Head of People when they begin to experience growth and expansion that requires a more structured and strategic approach to managing their employees.
Here are some signs that a small business may be ready to hire a Head of People:
- Growing headcount: As a startup expands and hires more employees, it can become more challenging to manage human resources needs. A Head of People can help streamline processes and ensure compliance with labor laws and regulations.
- Increased complexity: As a business grows, so do the complexities of managing people. A Head of People can help navigate issues like performance management, employee engagement, and employee relations.
- High turnover: If a small business is experiencing high turnover rates, it may be a sign that there are issues with employee retention and engagement. A Head of People can help identify the root causes of turnover and develop strategies to improve retention.
- Limited HR expertise: Small business owners and managers may not have the expertise or bandwidth to effectively manage human resources. A Head of People can provide the necessary expertise and support to help the business manage their people effectively.
- Strategic priorities: As a business grows, it may become more important to develop a strategic approach to managing people. A Head of People can help align HR strategies with business goals and objectives.